The 41st annual Carolina BalloonFest is just days away, and organizers need more volunteers to help launch balloons in the mornings and early evenings, chase them to their landing sites and help pack them up.
There are plenty of benefits to volunteering, including free admission to the festival, reserved parking – and the chance to experience all the action firsthand.
Here are the details:
What: Carolina BalloonFest
Where: Statesville Regional Airport, 238 Airport Road, Statesville
When: Saturday, Oct. 18, and Sunday, Oct. 19
Details: Organizers have listed several requirements for volunteers to consider before signing up:
- Ability to remember and follow instructions in the sometimes-hectic environment of the BalloonFest.
- Willingness to commit to one or both days to provide more consistency for pilots.
- Physical condition that allows bending and lifting.
- Navigational skills to chase balloons in vehicles to local landing sites.
- Older children may serve alongside parents, but younger children should be otherwise supervised so volunteers can devote complete attention to their jobs.
- Those interested in driving a chase vehicle must have a valid driver’s license, safe driving record and feel comfortable driving someone else’s vehicle. There are also volunteer positions for passengers.