A fire that broke out Monday night in a boiler room at Statesville High School did “minimal damage” and will not disrupt classes, school officials said Tuesday.
The school’s sprinkler system put out the blaze shortly after it began around 6:30 p.m., according to a press release from Iredell-Statesville Schools.
The boiler room is in the basement of the Center Street campus. Some staff members were at the school when the fire started but no injuries were reported.
The Statesville Fire Department worked with school maintenance staff to secure the area, ISS said.
Air quality tests showed that the school was safe and classes were held as scheduled Tuesday.
Principal Hans Lassiter said the area “has pretty much been cleaned up. There are remnants of the burned insulation that smelled pretty bad, but that, too, has been neutralized.”
One basement classroom will temporarily be relocated while repairs are made.