A gas explosion severely damaged an unoccupied house off Baton Church Road in Caldwell County Tuesday morning, according to North Catawba Deputy Fire Chief Dennis Hopkins.

The explosion, which Hopkins said could be heard from a mile away, was caused by a propane tank leak on the back side of the home. Hopkins said with the right mixture of air and gas, an explosion such as this can occur.

The blast blew out the back wall of the basement, shifted the home on its foundation and caused a partial collapse. Hopkins said debris landed in the road.

Occupants of a home nearly 100 yards from the explosion said pictures fell from their interior walls, according to Hopkins.

The owners of the unoccupied home were in the process of cleaning the house out. When they left the home Monday evening, they never saw signs of a gas leak, Hopkins said.

No one was injured.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Please keep it clean, turn off CAPS LOCK and don't threaten anyone. Be truthful, nice and proactive. And share with us - we love to hear eyewitness accounts.